Our 60th Birthday Surprise Party

This forum is for discussing anything else... Family events, recent news, pretty much anything. In the event that we have an overwhelming need to branch this out further, we can. For now though we'll just leave it as "general".
Mom&DadMulhern

Our 60th Birthday Surprise Party

Post by Mom&DadMulhern »

OUR 60TH BIRTHDAY SURPRISE PARTY
September 11, 2010

The surprise was on us when Michael, Meghan and Sydney came for a visit this past weekend. My 60th birthday was September 10th, and I just assumed they were coming for that. Well, the day went okay. No presents, no fuss. I was kind of bummed that even my closest friends hadn’t sent me birthday cards, which was really unusual. Mike and I even ordered pizza for dinner that night to keep things simple. Jenny did bake me a cake, but it wasn’t her fabulous designer-original as I might have expected. Still…it was wonderful just having my whole family at home.

Sydney was on her best behavior yet. She acted as though she had no recollection of our previous visit to Des Plaines when nothing, but nothing would please her due to her mommy being in India (we guessed).

Michael made the comment that he had taken the liberty of making a reservation at The Glades restaurant in Carlinville, Illinois for Saturday evening, and he had invited Jenny, Abe & Cassie to come along. That sounded awesome to me, as we loved going there, but hadn’t eaten there since moving back to Illinois.

Friday evening it rained pretty heavily. We didn’t get the chance to go on the boat. Sydney kept saying over and over “boat” and “water” and pointing to the lake. We all knew exactly what she wanted, but we weren’t at all sure the weather would cooperate for that. Saturday morning, we decided to risk it. Although overcast, we gathered up our towels and put on our jackets and headed for the lake. Turned out, it was a great time to go. We took an hour boat ride and then headed back home for Sydney to take her nap. We were hoping we could go out again on the boat after Sydney’s nap, so that Jenny, Abe & Cassie could join us. Jenny mentioned that she had a cake order and had to stay home Saturday afternoon to finish it up and deliver it. She told us they would meet us at The Glades at 5:15. Sydney’s nap came late, and so we postponed going out again until Sunday morning.

Well, Mike and Michael decided to go work on the hoist that afternoon, and by 4:30, they were still working on it. Wasn’t at all sure we would be on time, as Carlinville is a half hour’s drive from where we live. They finally came up to the house, Mike got a quick shower, and we headed out around 5:00, arriving late around 5:30. Little did I know that was in the plan. Jenny and Michael had been texting their little fingers off all afternoon, and Michael was to stall getting us there.

We walked into The Glades back room (called the 19th Hole), and about 30 of our closest friends were all standing and yelling “Surprise!” Jenny and Michael had planned a birthday surprise party for both Mike and I together as our birthdays are just a month apart. It took a little while for us to realize it was for both of us. The biggest surprise was how many people were there, and even some of our new neighbors showed up to wish us well.

Jenny had baked an outstanding cake! A huge 60 was decorated in red, white and black with a candle on each side. One side was chocolate and one side white cake. The tables all had party poppers on them, confetti, little cups of candy and red, white, blue & black balloons adorned each table. The cake table also had a picture of Mike and me on it with a lit candle and a basket overflowing with cards. Jenny had arranged for everyone to mail cards to her, and she had placed them all in a basket for us. It was all decorated very pretty. The food table was huge – all catered by The Glades.

Jenny and Michael outdid themselves. Michael gave most of the credit to Jenny, but I know it took some doing from them both to get them all together for the event. Not only did we get to see old friends we hadn’t seen for awhile, but we especially enjoyed getting to show off our grandchildren to our friends. They were both so well behaved and fun. We were very proud of them.

Thank you bunches, Michael, Meghan, Sydney, Abe, Jenny & Cassie, for any part you had in our surprise. We loved it and won’t soon forget that special evening. We love you so much!

Love,
Mom & Dad