1st day transitioning to the Musical Monkey room

This is my sub-forum featuring a day-by-day account of what I did at school based on the forms my teachers send home with me each day. You can read about when I napped, how many bottles I went through, what activities I performed, and even when they changed my diaper.
mightymulhern

1st day transitioning to the Musical Monkey room

Post by mightymulhern »

Today Sydney got to spend her first day transitioning to the Musical Monkey room from the Baby Bears room. Although we expected a transition to mean a few hours, Sydney spent nearly the entire day there from 8:00 - 4:30 and apparently had a fantastic time. She was joined by fellow Baby Bear Sydney H. Baby Bear teachers Valerie and Megan took turns in the room with the Sydneys throughout the day to ensure that they were comfortable.

Unlike the Baby room, the Monkey room has no cribs. The kids sleep on cots and sit in little chairs. Sydney actually took a 1hr nap on a cot today and stayed on her cot even after she woke up while the other kids were sleeping. :shock:

*********************************************************************************************
Activity Report

Today's Monkey room teachers were: Amanda and Vanessa
Today's theme was: Penguins

Breakfast: Eggs (Some), Bacon (None), Hash Browns (Some), Bananas (All)
Lunch: Quesadillas (Some), Mixed Veggies (None), Oranges (All)
PM Snack: Pretzels (All) - rumor has it she had 3 servings

Diapering Schedule:
8:30 D
10:35 W + BM
11:30 D
2:30 W
4:20 BM

I slept from 11:45 to 12:50 today.
Today I feel Happy
I'm running low on (nothing)
I played outside from 10:15 to 10:45.

Language Arts:
Today we read: First Snow by Emily Arnold McCully

Create Art:
Penguin Feet
* Sydney enjoyed making penguin feet.

Motor Skills:
Exercises
*Sydney was stretching and putting her hands in the air.

Dramatic Play / Social Science:
Bowling
* Sydney got very excited and was laughing.

Music / Movement:
We sang "I'm a king penguin" to the tune of Itsy Bitsy Spider.

Discovery / Nature Science:
Coloring Salt
*Sydney enjoyed touching the salt.

Cognitive Development:
Number Flashcards

Teacher Comments:
* Sydney did great for her first day visiting the monkey room! She was laughing and playing with her new friends. Sydney H came over as well so that she wasn't alone! Miss Valerie was with her for the first day as well. Sydney loved story time and was laughing during the story. Sydney will be needing three sippy cups during the day. If you would like we have sippy cups available for use in our room so you wouldn't have to bring any sippy cups from home. We do take the children out two times a day so can you please have snow pants, boots, hat, gloves for Sydney each day. Those items may stay at school.

We are so excited for Sydney to be joining our class!
-- The Monkey Room Teachers

*********************************************************************************************

Monkey's Daily Schedule

7:00 - Open / Greeting / Morning Routine

7:30 - Learning / Interest Center Activities
Manipulates, Blocks, Art Center, Dramatic Play

8:00 - Breakfast / Morning Snack

8:30 - Diapers

9:00 - Circle Time / Songs, Fingerplays, Calendar, Social Skills

9:30 - Learning / Interest Center Activities
Cognitive Development, Creative Art, Social Science, Nature Studies

10:15 - Outside / Gross Motor Activity

11:00 - Lunch

11:30 - Diapers

12:00 - Rest

2:30 - Diapers

3:00 - Afternoon Transition / Snack

3:15 - Outside / Gross Motor Activity

4:00 - Afternoon Circle / Language Art Activity, Review

4:45 - Learning / Interest Center Activities

5:30 - Closing / Farewell / Diapers

6:00 - School Close

Meghan

Re: 1st day transitioning to the Musical Monkey room

Post by Meghan »

Sydney had another great day in the Monkey room on Friday! We are so proud of how well she is doing with the transition. It doesn't seem to be an issue for her at all, and it seems like she's ready to make the switch. She LOVES playing with all the older kids. When I picked her up on Friday, she didn't want to go home! I had to chase her down and wrestle her into her coat.

The only problem is that she is not getting enough sleep. I don't think she was quite ready to switch to 1 nap yet. She did sleep on her cot for over 2 hours on Friday, but she was still so tired in the evening that she went to bed at 6pm. I'm sure she will adjust, but it's painful in the meantime.