Fire Alarm

This is my sub-forum featuring a day-by-day account of what I did at school based on the forms my teachers send home with me each day. You can read about when I napped, how many bottles I went through, what activities I performed, and even when they changed my diaper.
mightymulhern

Fire Alarm

Post by mightymulhern »

This was back on January 31st, but it still seemed worth posting.

Right as the kids were getting ready for their naps, the fire alarm went off and everyone had to hurry up and go outside. It wasn't a planned drill, and there was no fire. Apparently if someone uses the clothes drier at Early Days and closes a particular door, the fire alarm will go off.

Anyway, when I got home that night, I got a very long winded toddler explanation. From what I gather, it was very loud, there was a flashing light, it was scary, Sydney cried, they had to go outside, and then they came in and went to sleep.

Meghan witnessed another toddler giving his father a similar explanation at pick up. Halfway through the explanation, the father turned to a teacher and said, "Ok... what happened?!?"

I have never seen Sydney try to explain something to us so emphatically. She didn't know how to tell us that a light was flashing and showed us by opening and closing her hand while telling us about the light. Then she took my hand and open and closed it as if to try to drive the point home.

In the days that followed, Sydney remained bothered by the ordeal. She started waking up in the middle of the night crying and telling us she had bad dreams about school. We attempted to discuss the fire alarm on a couple occasions but that also visibly upset her. Knowing how much Sydney loves loud noises and sudden surprises I'm sure the experience was terrifying. Fortunately we seem to have gotten past it now.