Bright Horizons

This is my sub-forum featuring a day-by-day account of what I did at school based on the forms my teachers send home with me each day. You can read about when I napped, how many bottles I went through, what activities I performed, and even when they changed my diaper.
mightymulhern

Bright Horizons

Post by mightymulhern »

Change is difficult but in this case we felt it justified. Hopefully we’ll look back in a few weeks and know for sure that we made the right decision. We think we did.

From the time that she was 12 weeks old until last Friday, Sydney spent every weekday at Early Days in Mount Prospect. In that time, Sydney grew from a tiny little baby that spit up all over herself several times a day into a beautiful little girl who runs around providing commentary on everything. We watched Sydney transition from the baby room to the Monkey room and again from the Monkey room to the Tiger room. We saw teachers come and go. Sydney missed those who left but adjusted to the new ones in time.

Then a few months back there was a mass exodus. Several teachers we really loved left Early Days all at once. The director assured us that everyone leaving was a coincidence and that they were just all going back to school or pursuing different careers. She also said she was looking hard for replacements and having trouble finding good people. It was around this point when we realized that only one teacher remained from the time when Sydney started almost 3 years ago.

We waited for a while and teachers shifted in and out. Coverage was thin. Other families left. Sometimes we found Sydney in the office with random kids when enough teachers weren’t available. Other times a teacher from another room was watching them. The environment seemed to grow more and more chaotic.

Not long after we discovered where each of the teachers had gone. All were working at other day cares with the exception of one who had become a nanny. From tid-bits we tugged out of people, money and reliable hours were two factors. Some were also now working much closer to home. Within days of piecing this together what was going on there, we got a letter saying that tuition was dropping across the board. It seemed to us that Early Days was transitioning from a high quality to a low cost model. After all, if good people can’t be easily found and existing staff can’t be retained in a business with thin profit margins, a drop in price didn’t seem to make much sense. This sentiment was echoed by other parents.

From the point when the exodus occurred onward, Sydney’s behavior worsened. She cried a lot in the evenings. Meltdowns at drop-off got worse. She started napping very poorly during the week. Other kids were having similar issues. Sometimes her sheets were coming back filled out. Other times they were half blank.

Early in the saga, we discussed leaving Early Days and as it went on the desire to leave increased. Meghan shopped around researching what was available and visiting a few places. Location narrowed our options, as did what we wanted for Sydney. In the end, we selected a place called Bright Horizons. Bright Horizons is an international company with a well-regarded curriculum. It has centers all over the Chicago land area (as well as the country). Everyone we talked to gave it glowing reviews.

Meghan visited Bright Horizons alone and then with Sydney and me. I was impressed. They had a real curriculum with actual milestones that they track each child’s progress towards. Allegedly the kids leaving the 3yr old room could write their names. They used a computer in the classroom and had stations with activities. The room seemed calm. The teacher, Miss Markeisha, had been there for 6 years. They promised email feedback as well as written daily reports and pictures.

The only down sides were that the facilities weren’t nearly as nice as those at Early Days and there was one that the Bright Horizons didn’t have – Sydney Houdek (our Sydney’s best friend in the whole world since they could sit up). Sydney was also really looking forward to being in Mr. Nick’s class when she turned 3. We agonized over the decision. Would Mr. Nick even be there tomorrow? Next week? Next month?

Early last week, Sydney came home from Early Days one day with a blank sheet. She clearly hadn’t napped. We didn’t know if she had eaten. She was a mess. The following day, Meghan asked what had happened in the morning and her question clearly struck a nerve with one of the teachers. Meghan could see her frustration. Apparently we weren’t the only ones asking that question. Meghan poked her head in the office on the way out and didn’t get the best response. Already on thin ice, that was the breaking point. Within the next 24 hours, not only did we decide to switch, we decided to go ahead and pay for the 2 weeks at early days (2 week’s notice required) and make that Sydney’s last week at Early Days. On Thursday and Friday we picked her up a little early to visit her new school to help with the transition.

Late that week, Meghan also discovered that Sydney had forgotten her ABC’s. That was alarming because she knew them several months back and was clearly frustrated to have forgotten. It’s our belief that the curriculum at Early Days was largely based on the teachers.

I got the pleasure of picking Sydney up on her last Friday at Early Days. Her friends had made her a poster saying that they would miss her. Sydney Houdek told me that our Sydney could come to her house to visit. It was very very sad saying goodbye.

That Friday’s visit to Bright Horizons with Sydney didn’t go well. She didn’t leave my side, didn’t want to interact with the kids (who really wanted to play with her). She was clearly scared and cried to come home after being there for 20 minutes. Thankfully, we did have a little 1 on 1 success with Markeisha.

This week has been a mixed bag. Sydney has CLEARLY had fun at school and we have photographic proof. Her first day, to the amazement of her teacher, she participated in all of the activities. On Tuesday, Mary picked her up and she was a holy terror. Apparently the day was good, but she didn’t want to leave and refused to get in the car. I believe they walked a balance beam that day. On Wednesday, they took a field trip to a pumpkin farm. Sydney got to ride a yellow school bus. Once there, she rode carnival rides including a scrambler (there is no way should would have been willing to do that with us). She got near enough to animals to drop some feed for them to eat. She seemed to have a great time although they couldn’t get her on a pony. Today was good but she didn’t take a nap and passed out hard on our couch at 7:15. She’s in bed in her clothes right now.

On the downside, Sydney has had a complete meltdown every morning at drop off. We are hoping once this becomes normal, that will subside.

The highlight of the pumpkin farm was apparently that a horse pooped. Sydney was very excited to tell us that.

Apparently Sydney loves her new teacher. She got very upset the other day when her teacher left and another kid got to go home with her (Markeisha has a 2yr old son).

At this point we don’t believe that Sydney has really talked to the other kids at all. It sounds like at recess she stays with her teacher and just watches. Hopefully she’ll warm up soon.

Apparently at nap time, Sydney had been chatting with another kid instead of sleeping. We're not sure what to make of that. Today Miss Markeisha moved her over by herself and Sydney talked to herself. Then she went over and Sydney talked to her. Hopefully this will resolve itself.

When Meghan visited the school with Sydney, 2 kids introduced themselves. One called herself Princess Nuts. The other, Super Kai. There is also a little boy named Orion (his real name). I think Sydney needs a superhero name.

That's about all I've got. Tomorrow is show and tell. Wish Sydney luck.