Daily Letter 11/17/2011

This is my sub-forum featuring a day-by-day account of what I did at school based on the forms my teachers send home with me each day. You can read about when I napped, how many bottles I went through, what activities I performed, and even when they changed my diaper.
mightymulhern

Daily Letter 11/17/2011

Post by mightymulhern »

Language Works/Our World:
For language today, we read a story about what thanksgiving is and why we celebrate it each year. We learned about the pilgrims and the Native Americans. The pilgrims were people who came to America to be free to do what they wanted away from England. The Native Americans were people who lived in America. We learned that England is a country across the ocean. The Pilgrims landed in Plymouth Rock and built houses and learned to plant food they could eat all winter from the Native Americans. They were very thankful for all the help and food that they invited the Native Americans to a feast that lasted for three days, which we now call Thanksgiving Day. When we were finished, we talked about what we were each thankful for. Most of us were thankful for toys and our mommies and daddies but some of us were still a little confused about what being thankful was. Miss. Markeisha said that there are many children and people around the world who do not have food or proper place to stay. Some of us started to understand and tell what we were thankful for.

Art Smart / Math Counts:
Today, we worked on a craft in honor of Thanksgiving next week. We each made a Native American woman with a baby. We used our gluing and following the direction skills to paste together the woman's head, body, arms, feet, and baby.

Science Rocks:
For science, we used our magnifying glasses to look at the different foods like tomatoes, lettuce, and peppers. This week we have been learning the difference between fruits and vegetables. The children identified each fruit or vegetable by name and said if they like it or not.

Home Living/Dress-up:
In the kitchen area we cooked up a Thanksgiving feast for our friends with turkey, mashed potatoes and vegetables. We also made pies and cookies. We almost forgot the drinks, but we found the lemons and made lemonade. This activity went great with the book we read about thanksgiving feast's.

Have a Wonderful Evening

Miss. Markeisha & Miss Bethany

***Reminder**** Please remember next week is our Pot Luck where you can bring in a dish and recipe to share with the others in our classroom along with sharing a meal. Also please bring in nonperishable items for our classroom food drive.