Finger foods.....NOT!

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
Meghan

Finger foods.....NOT!

Post by Meghan »

Today my weekly baby digest email from babycenter.com informed me that now that Sydney is 6 months 3 weeks old, she's ready to start finger foods. Ummmm.....ok. I wasn't too sure about that, but I decided to give it a shot.

I put her in her high chair and strapped on her protective plastic bib. I cut up a banana into really tiny pieces and set them in front of her on the high chair tray. She did not take any notice of them. She stared at me expectantly, wondering why I wasn't spooning sweet potatoes into her mouth.

I picked up one of the banana pieces and put it in her mouth. She seemed confused at first, but ate it. I held up another piece and then put it back down on the tray. She looked down at the banana pieces, looked up at me, and started to cry. So I put another piece in her mouth, which she ate. Then I put a piece in her hand. She squished it in her fist and then looked at it.

I beg to differ with babycenter.com. I'm pretty sure my 6 month 3 week old has no clue what to do with finger foods.

In other news, Sydney now has a walker. She is not sure what to do with it. She tries to jump in it, but it's not springy. She has figured out how to scoot backwards, but not forwards. She thinks it's funny to scoot backwards away from me, and then for me to pull her forwards again. If she scoots away and I don't pull her back, she gets upset. Oh well. I'm sure she'll learn.

Finally, Sydney demonstrated a new trick to me today: lunging. She was sitting on her play mat right after we got home from daycare, and I was sitting near her (but too far away for her to touch me), reading her daily activity report. Lately, Sydney has an obsession with paper. She wants to hold it and crumple it up and put it in her mouth. She started whining and reaching for the paper in my hand. Suddenly, she lunged forward from a sitting position, pushed with her legs, and launched herself at me. She ended up laying on her tummy, holding the paper in her hands. She looked up at me and grinned proudly. And then she realized she was on her tummy, which she hates, and immediately started fussing.

Note to self: don't leave the baby unattended on any raised surface from here on out.

mightymulhern

Re: Finger foods.....NOT!

Post by mightymulhern »

One ironic addendum to this is that when Meghan started feeding Sydney solid food, Sydney kept reaching up for the spoon and Meghan pushed her hands back down pretty quickly training her not to try to feed herself. Now we're saying... feed yourself. So she probably is totally confused.