Saturday 6/6 - Big Day!

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Saturday 6/6 - Big Day!

Post by mightymulhern »

Yesterday was a big day for Sydney.

Morning Fountain
The day began with our typical 5:30am wake up with the Beastie squawking and Meghan dragged herself out of bed for the first feeding of the day. I just rolled over planning to go back to sleep until shift #2 rolled around. Not long into the feeding, I heard "Oh God!" which can only mean a fountain or a 5 alarm diaper explosion. In this case, it was the former. Apparently Sydney was having kind of a snotty morning, had a little coughing spell, gagged, and provided a milk fountain. I got up, grabbed a towel, and found Meghan holding Sydney. Sydney managed to mostly miss herself, soaking only one arm. Meghan got hosed. ...and the far side of the couch had milk on the cushions (meaning Sydney now has a good 2-3' range). Wardrobe changes for Meghan and Sydney, a small amount of cleanup couch cleanup, and all was back to well close to normal. The geyser seemed to have an "opening" effect on Sydney's throat because there were a lot more small spit ups throughout the rest of the day than what has been normal for her.

Hard solid foods
Later in the morning, Meghan was holding Sydney and eating a chocolate chip cookie. Sydney was of course fascinated and wanted the cookie so Meghan gave her one. Sydney took a full bite and made one heck of a face. At this point we also tried a Ritz cracker which yielded the same facial expression. Thus far we've attempted to feed Sydney a honey nut cheerio, a rice crispy, a ritz cracker, a chocolate chip cookie, and those "puffs" you give to babies starting finger foods. All have gotten dramatic facial expressions, most of which have been pretty awful. Right now just doesn't know what to do with harder solids. She eagerly takes a bite, makes a horrible face, and then either loses interest or takes another bite and makes another face.

Going to the doctor
After breakfast, Sydney played a bit and then went down for a nap as did Meghan. Sydney had a doctor's appointment to get some shots at 10am. Around 9:20 Sydney made a soft squawk and I realized both she and Meghan were zonked and running late. [Insert scrambling, feeding, dressing, and getting out the door here. I think both Sydney and Meghan would have been content to nap another hour.] Per Meghan, Sydney was very good at the doctor's office (unlike last time) and they went to target to buy a gift for the birthday party later in the day.

Note: At her 6 month visit Sydney was supposed to get the shots she got at this visit but had a complete meltdown through most of the appointment and the doctor recommended bringing her back some other time for the shots.

Update: Sydney now weighs 17lbs 1oz. As a side note, I weighted 17lbs 8oz at 7 months old so she's lagging dad just a little bit.

Claudia Eakin's 1st Birthday Party - Yummy Ice Cream & Tags
Not long after getting home from Target, it was time to get ready to head over to Chris & Lisa Eakin's house for their daughter Claudia's 1st birthday party. Sydney was ready for a nap and slept through most of the 45 minute drive there. Early on in the room of strange people, Sydney did really well. She was quiet but didn't cry (At Austin Roush's birthday party a few weeks back the strange setting/people kind of overwhelmed her and she whimpered a little). Before long she was playing on the floor with some of Claudia's toys.

Claudia seemed to have a great birthday party. She seemed happy and got a lot of clothes, an adirondack chair with a butterfly back, and a few toys. She seemed to like Sydney's gift which was some kind of contraption you beat colored rubber balls into with a hammer.

Claudia had a party favor for Sydney too which was a little stuffed Tigger. At that point I was sitting with Syndey, watching Claudia, and letter her play with tigger. Syd of course went straight for the tag and started chewing on it. I didn't figure should chew it for long and wasn't really paying very close attention. Later I looked down and discovered she had eaten perhaps 1/5 of the tag. :shock: Ooops. For a baby that doesn't like hard solid food, paper is apparently a great snack. Anyway, I de-tagged Tigger.

In all amusements, one of the toys Claudia got was a Curious George doll with a tag. ...which Claudia immediately started chewing on. You see! It's not just Sydney who is obsessed with tags.

Toward the end of the birthday party, cake and ice cream were served and as always when we eat, Sydney was interested in Meghan's ice cream. So Meghan started spooning French silk ice cream into Sydney's mouth. Points to note are that it was cold, chocolate, and sweet. Sydney made some priceless facial expressions but seemed to enjoy the ice cream. ...but she spit it all back up about 20 minutes later. Chris tried giving Claudia some too... same facial expression as Sydney's.

Rest of the Night
The rest of the night is barely worth mentioning. Sydney slept in the car on the way home and then was clearly over tired. At that point we were in the situation of too late to take a nap and too early to go to bed. A lot of fussing, some feeding, and a bath later she was finally asleep.