2 New Tricks, Change to Nap Schedule

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

2 New Tricks, Change to Nap Schedule

Post by mightymulhern »

As of today, Sydney has 2 new tricks

Peek-a-Boo
For the last few months we've played peek a boo with Sydney on a pretty regular basis. We throw a blanket, towel, burp cloth, etc over her head, pull it away, say peek-a-boo and she giggles. Over and Over again. Recently we started making her pull the blanked off her head herself which she finds equally hilarious. She will also pull the blanket off of your head if you cover yourself up.

Today she grabbed the burp cloth, held it up with both hands over her own head and then pulled it away grinning and laughing. ...so now she's rerunning the peek-a-boo show. We just watched her in disbelief when she started doing it and played along. Just when you think your baby isn't learning...

Gargling
Ok... this one is kind of gross.

As you all know, Sydney has spit up a lot from the time she was born. At some point, she started catching it in her mouth most of the time and re-swallowing it. She does it without missing a beat and it's just what she does.

Tonight after her bath, she did it, threw her head back, and gargled it with her mouth wide open with a good 10 seconds. We could literally see the milk bubbling in the back of her mouth. She then swallowed and grinned really big. Again, we just kind of looked at each other. Later while laying down, she started gargling her own spit.

Napping
In other news, we are also attempting to transition down to 2 naps this week from 3. The road has been a little bumpy with her being completely over tired by bed time and sneaking in little "I just can't stay awake" at naps in around 5:30. Monday night she fell asleep while Meghan was feeding her dinner. I came home to her completely zonked out on Meghan's lap. We made the mistake of waking her up and faced her wrath. Never wake a baby that has fallen asleep because she's too tired to keep her eyes open. Last night Meghan took her for a walk and she crashed during the walk. Then she didn't want to go to bed at bed time. Tonight went pretty well although she did nod off when Meghan took her jogging. When they got back, Meghan thought the floppy had had fallen down over her eyes. Then she realized Sydney was asleep.

BTW - The reason for transitioning to 2 naps is that the 3 naps weren't going well. She was taking 1 decent one, 2 really short ones, and still acting cranky in the evening. Sometimes that 3rd nap was also getting dropped due to some other distraction and that resulted in her being a complete and total monster at night. The goal is getting her to take 2 solid longer naps with more awake time in between. The difficulty has been the longer stretch between the 2nd nap and bed time.