So much cuteness

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

So much cuteness

Post by mightymulhern »

Sydney is being really cute lately. Now everything is "Duh.. Duh... Duh..." which one might think is like Da Da... but it's directed at everything so think again. She's also figured out how to click her tongue and seems to think that's part of talking. So we get "Duh Duh Duh <click> <click>", "Duh Duh Duh <click> <click>". I think we have a little bushman in our midst.

Sydney is crawling fast now but really just wants to walk. Unfortunately when we walk her around she doesn't look down at all so she tends to try to walk over anything and everything in her path. She has no fear of stairs at all and makes a bee line for them at Meghan's mom's house. Being her silly self, she doesn't seem to have any comprehention for how tall of a step she can take. This is evidenced by her lifting one foot to attempt to walk up the side of the bed and couch. :shock: Yeah... we don't know what she's thinking.

Drinking out of a sippy cup is working better. That's been a slow process, but she seems to have it down now.

Speaking of walking, Sydney's favorite places to walk to are the bathroom and the kitchen door that goes outside. In the bathroom she likes to play with the cabinet door under the sink and the drawers. She also likes the shower curtain for some reason. For awhile there she also wanted to pat the toilet seat. :? Today she mainly just kept trying to go outside though. She's recently discovered that she has a shadow and seems very intrigued. She likes to wave an arm and look at her shadow. I think she tried to go outside every time we walked her around the house today. Meghan eventually took her on a bike ride.

The bike ride brings me to another topic which is temperature control. Our baby seems to have about the worst circulation I've ever seen. Her little ears and hands were ice cold when they got back from the ride. ...keep in mind that it was probably 65-70 degrees out today. She came back happy though.

This past weekend, Meghan and I went to a wedding in Elmira, NY. Meanwhile, Sydney stayed with Meghan's mom Mary. I don't have a lot of cute details there but apparently everyone did pretty well. One thing that comes to mind is that Mary has 2 cats which Sydney has started to take interest in. While we were there dropping her off, Sydney grabbed on of their tails with both hands and pulled backwards with her whole body. The cat jumped and escaped. Apparently this happened a few times. I guess we need to start working on "gentle". Actually Sydney hit Meghan in the head with a wooden truck today so it's probably well past time to work on gentle. Another story from drop off was Sydney knocking over a wall of blocks. Mary has these large cardboard blocks that you stack up to make what look like buildings. She made a wall in front of Sydney and Sydney decided to knock it down. The wall was probably a foot higher than Sydney's head and when she pushed on it, it fell back on her. Her facial expression was priceless as the wall started to topple backwards over her. In that moment, I'm pretty sure Sydney understood cause and effect for the very first time. Many thanks to Mary for watching the Wee Beastie.

We weren't real sure how Sydney would react to us coming home. Would she miss us? Would she be mad that we left? Would she be indifferent after 2 full days? Well as fate would have it, we still don't really have an answer to that question. At 10pm last night after we got home and several hours after Sydney was asleep, she woke up screaming. All we can figure is that she had a bad dream. ...and then the parents she hadn't seen for 2 days rushed in. That may have been adding shock to shock but this wasn't really different from past bad dreams. Sydney was pretty much inconsolable for 20 minutes or so. Then she played on her piano for many 5 minutes completely ignoring us. After that, it was as if a switch was flipped. She turned around and grinned at us and was really sweet from that point on. We're really not sure what happens when she has bad dreams but it takes awhile to pull her out of it.

Anyway... this was supposed to be cuteness, not crankiness so I'll end on an up note. Today we all took the day off and stayed home together. Sydney was a sweet and cute baby all day. We played a lot and there were many grins and "Duh Duh Duh's". Apparently though she was still a little tired because she took 3 long naps and barely managed to stay up over 2hrs in between them. She stayed up a little longer before bed time but part of that was probably because she got a bath. She went down to bed peacefully too... which lately is a rarity.