More Random Thoughts - Spitting Up and Napping

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

More Random Thoughts - Spitting Up and Napping

Post by mightymulhern »

Spitting Up

Sydney was the spittiest baby ever for a very long time. She wore a bib at all times and we came to terms with cleaning her, us, and whatever we were sitting on up multiple times a day. That's just the way it was. One day around maybe the 8 month mark, the spit up stopped completely as if a switch had been flipped. We did however notice that occasionally Sydney would have a wet burp that was followed by a swallow. In effect, she taught herself to re-swallow what came up.

A week or two before we went down to UofI for the Illini vs. Penn State game, Sydney randomly spit up on the floor while playing one day. ...it just kind of came out of no where. Then a couple weeks later at the game, she spit up on me twice... (I got that sensation where my leg was suddenly warm.) Again, out of no where. In that case she might have gagged herself because kept sticking her fingers in her mouth. This week we've had 2 spit ups and several very wet sounding burps. Anyway, things seem to be regressing somewhat there and we'll be discussing it with the doctor at Sydney's 1yr appointment. Fortunately it doesn't seem to bother her. We also haven't had a milk geyser in a VERY long time so hopefully that trend holds.

Napping at Day Care

All of the sudden one week, Sydney started napping terribly at day care. Her naps went from 1-2hrs down to 20-30 minutes and she was coming home exhausted and really just a mess. Interestingly this stretch coincided with a new teacher coming on board however there didn't seem to be any connection. This persisted for several weeks and no one at day care could figure out what had changed. We assumed it was some kind of weird phase but even that didn't make sense because she napped fine on the weekends. Then at the end of last week one of the old teachers who had moved to a different room subbed in the baby room and noted that the new teacher had been swaddling Sydney at nap time. BINGO! Keep in mind that this is the baby that so many times had woken up in the middle of the night crying because she was all tied up in her blankets and couldn't get out. How many times did I get up in the wee hours of the morning to rescue her? Let's just say it was a common occurrence in this house. This week, the swaddling stopped and the naps are back to normal (and in some cases even longer than they previously were). We've got our happy baby back.