What a goofball

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

What a goofball

Post by mightymulhern »

Sydney has been cutting an upper molar and hasn't been real happy this week. Tonight after some Ibuprofen she happied up a bit though.

When I got home tonight, Meghan was holding her in the kitchen and Sydney screamed at me. I think she screamed DAD!!!! I jumped at the verbal assault.

Later while Sydney was playing on the floor next to us, Meghan and I were talking about something and some emphatic whining started to my left. I turned and discovered how our Wee Beastie had gotten herself in trouble this time. At some point she learned to put the Mardi Gras beads on herself and has been wearing them around at home. We're not sure where she learned that. Initially she just liked to play with them. Then it was putting them on and taking them off. Now it's putting them on and playing with them on. The trouble is that they hang down to her knees and they drag the floor under her knees when she crawls. Somehow this time in the transition between sitting and crawling she had gotten part of one leg through the necklace (caught at the knee) and couldn't get it out or sit up straight. I quickly rescued her and the happy play resumed.

After dinner, Sydney was playing over by the book case in the living room and knocked one of the brass music boxes off the shelf. It made a clang on the floor and the music box played a few notes. Sydney backed up and stood at the side of the book case looking down as if she knew she had done something wrong and was in trouble. She looked downright uncomfortable in that moment. We didn't even say anything to her. After a few seconds of that, I just got up, put the music box back on the shelf, patted her on the head, and sat back down. Now what's odd is that if you tell her "no", she'll try to test you. She'll just do something anyway or do it slowly while looking at you with a defiant expression. AND she's always throwing things on the floor. In this case we didn't say or do anything. Very odd. I don't know what made that different.

Later Sydney did something very peculiar. She crawled over to the pack & play that had 2 sleepers hanging over the side of it and pulled them both down. Then she tried to put one of them back up over the edge but wasn't tall enough to pull it off. After that she attempted to put it up on the end table beside the couch which didn't work. Then she tried to shove it under the couch with her foot. Eventually she went back to the pack & play and managed to throw it over the edge into the pack & play. Meanwhile, Meghan and I just looked at each other and scratched our heads.

After that Sydney decided to play with her plastic push cart walker thing and began pushing it across the rug. The cart ran over one of her shoes and stopped but rather than stopping, Sydney just kept pushing the cart forward. The front end stopped so she was literally walking the cart over itself with the handle bar going up as she went. We watched in slow motion as the cart toppled forwards and Sydney went over it belly hanging on the bar, feet up in the air. She wasn't moving fast enough to go all the way over it though so she just ended up dangling there. ...whining ensued and rescue number two followed. Apparently she did something similar a couple weeks ago at full speed, flipped herself all the way over it, and luckily landed on a pillow unscathed.

The next thing Sydney did was even more peculiar. She crawled over to the diaper box and took out 2 diapers. She played with them for a little while and then crawled over to Meghan and gave her a diaper. A few minutes later she crawled over to me with the remaining diaper. At that point, Meghan changed her. I wonder if our baby is going to start telling us when she wants changed. This is the baby who up to this point could have cared less if her diaper was dry or not.

With a fresh diaper and now wearing a sleeper, Sydney continued playing. Then out of no where she randomly stood up and walked about 5 steps over to Meghan. This is the baby that has refused to take more than a step all week and has wanted to be carried from place to place. Somehow 10 minutes before bed time, walking seemed like a good idea again. She walked to Meghan. She walked back to me, fell down, got up, and continued. Lots of grins and clapping all around. Maybe this walking thing will catch on soon.

On the walking front, rumor has it that Sydney H (our Sydney's best friend at school) has been tugging on her hands and trying to get her to walk (Sydney H can already walk). There's some peer pressure for you.

Last night was odd too. Sydney seemed to discover the pumpkin that Meghan bought. She patted it and rolled it. At one point, for reasons which I'm not clear on, I had a pumpkin and a baby in my lap at the same time. You never know what's going to happen in our living room these days.