More tid bits...

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

More tid bits...

Post by mightymulhern »

Restaurants
Saturday night we met the Martins for dinner at Boston Blackies. Sydney was well behaved but after 20 minutes or so just couldn't sit still. Since the restaurant wasn't very busy in our area, we let her down so she could "roam". At one point she was walking around with Meghan's cell phone up to her ear as if she was taking an important call. She actually walked away from the table doing that as if for privacy. Very cute. The Boston Blackies staff was pretty taken with her.

Friday night, we went to Morettis. There we sat in a "U" shaped booth with Sydney in the middle. She spent much of the time standing up and looking over the back of the booth watching people go by. Sydney had many admirers from the patrons to the wait staff. The manager actually came over and said something like "My staff isn't working because of you". He also thought she was pretty adorable. On the way out, Sydney wanted to walk rather than be carried and was pretty funny. After milling around near the door, she made a break for it with Meghan running behind her.

Hard boiled eggs
Meghan was eating a salad the other day and feeding Sydney some chicken out of it with a fork. At some point, she decided to try to give Sydney a piece of hard boiled egg (on the fork). Sydney opened her mouth, then closed it and gave the egg a weird look. From there she reached out and took the egg off the fork, looked at it again, put it in her mouth, took it back out of her mouth, and put it back on the fork. Apparently she doesn't like hard boiled eggs.

Playing in the snow
Sydney got a snow suit for her birthday so Saturday afternoon we decided to break it out. We had about 4" of snow and it was 33 degrees outside so this was probably one of the better opportunities we'd have to get her out this winter. First we bundled her up in the house, boots, snow suit, mittens. She fell over twice while we were getting her dressed in the living room. That probably should have been a sign. She was bundled up well enough that she couldn't move around very well. It seemed like the added restriction made her stop trying to move.

We took Sydney outside and stood her up in the snow. She stood there, only her eyes moving, and then crumpled sideways a bit as she bent one leg. She didn't really seem to be able to stand up for long in the snow suit. Meghan attempted to show her how the snow packed and how she could build a snowman. Sydney wasn't really interested. She was however interested in taking her mittens off so we took them off her. ...then she touched the snow with a bare hand and decided she wanted the mittens back on. She was a good sport though. She stood there while I continued building the snow man, not moving, but cracking a smile every once in awhile. Shortly there after, our neighbors came out and gave her some attention. She let Kathleen hold her but wasn't interested in trying to run around with Hannah and Steve. Maybe the next time she'll be a little more into it.

Single nap days
For better or worse, we've been tinkering with this on the last couple weekends. It's fine if Sydney gets a good long nap but if it's a short one, it makes for a long day.

Stacking blocks
Sydney can now stack up blocks as opposed to just knocking them down. This just randomly started. Previously she was only interested in knocking things down.

Rings on a stick
Sydney can now put the rings over the stick but hasn't figured out what order they go on. She also pauses after each one waiting for us to clap. :)

Mystery Ailment
Last Wednesday night Sydney woke up around 9:30 crying and it just escalated from there. At that point she had some kind of odd rash on her face and hands. Both were bright red and looked like she had been riding a motorcycle in the cold. Cheeks were bright red except where her pacifier sits. Tops of her hands were bright red. No fever. After much walking around, a bottle, some applesauce, and a couple hours, she settled down. We got her back to bed sometime between 11:30 and midnight. The rash just looked like super dry skin and was gone 2 days later.