First Tummy Bug

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

First Tummy Bug

Post by mightymulhern »

Well it had to happen eventually and we made it over 14 months before it hit. On Wednesday after coming home from school Sydney was unusually reserved and quiet. Then while we were eating dinner in the living room, she threw up. It was a total milk projectile vomit hitting Meghan, the coffee table, the floor, and Sydney. She threw up three or four times in the next few hours and again around 1:30am.

Thursday she was very tired and we all spent most of the day lounging in the living room. She pretty much just wanted to be held but was fine with all of us sitting on the floor. Then out of no where at 12:30, she threw up again. After that she seemed fine until 5:00 when she threw up again. That one however seemed more like a burp or hiccup gone wrong.

Sydney slept like a ROCK Thursday night and was back to her goofy self today. She's clearly a little tired and doesn't have much of an appetite but is being very silly and playing. She's so happy in fact that we sent her back to school around 12:30.

Lessons learned:

1. We need to teach Sydney to drink something other than milk when she's healthy because during the past few days she's refused water, Pedialite (2 flavors), Gatorade, and Apple Juice.

2. A sheet will not protect the couch against puking. Fortunately the cushion covers are machine washable and the inner pillow cleaned up well.

3. The plastic dining room table cloth makes a great cover for the rug when you have a sick baby. We put down a small comforter, put one pillow under it, and made that the play area (also known as the baby triage center). There we could play, let her sleep on the pillow (wrapped in a few receiving blankets), and easily clean up the mess without worrying about carpet or upholstery.

4. Tylenol appears to have no effect on Sydney whatsoever. Hence forth we'll only use ibuprofen (which is what we normally do anyway).

Amusing notes:

1. I picked up some carry out last night for dinner and Sydney decided that the cup of coleslaw (with a lid) was fun to play with. She carried it all around. ...of course eventually she dropped it making a small mess.

2. At a couple points, Sydney picked up the thermometer off the coffee table and stuck it under her arm. ...she clearly knows where that goes.

3. Sydney drank 3 cups of milk for breakfast this morning and didn't really come up for air on the first one. ...and wouldn't let me take the cup away from her.

4. Yesterday Sydney kept finding Kix on the floor under the couch, table, chair, etc and being concerned about them. She didn't want to eat them or fresh Kix but was very concerned about the others.