Yesterday was a good day!

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Yesterday was a good day!

Post by mightymulhern »

Yesterday was a really good day at the Mulhern house. I worked in the basement most of the day while Meghan played with Sydney, although I got several visits.

Recently Sydney has been very in tune to anything making noise. If an airplane flies over, a large truck drives by, or a train comes down the tracks, she hears it and tries to find what's making the noise. Sometimes we open the front curtains, push the chair up against the wall, and let her stand in the chair and look out the window. Yesterday apparently Sydney heard a car and Meghan set her up so she could look out the window. Of course at that point there was no traffic at all on Mount Prospect Road and thus nothing to see. Meghan told Sydney, "Nope. There aren't any cars out there." Sydney responded by pointing to the car in our neighbor's driveway and said "There's a car!". Yeah, I think our Beastie is holding out on us in the talking department.

In all seriousness, I've heard this sentence repeated and what she's saying is pretty garbled but still understandable. I find great irony in the fact that the speaking she did many months back was clearer than what comes out today.

At another point yesterday we needed to pick up Sydney's laundry from the floor and put it in a laundry basket. We asked her to do it and without hesitation she went to work picking up a week's worth out outfits from a pile and putting them in the basket. When she was done, she found a clean pair of pants that were sitting on a box. I told her to put them in her drawer. She then walked over to her dresser, started to open one drawer, closed it, opened her pants drawer, and put the pants away. Sydney clearly understands much of what we say.

Last night we drove to Evanston to pick up a tricycle that Meghan found on Craigslist. Think red Schwin "Roadster". It's cool but will be too big for awhile. She has already figured out how to sit on it and push off on the ground with her feet.

Anyway, after picking that up we headed to Red Lobster for dinner. Sydney walked from the car to the door under her own power holding my fingers. Once inside I tried to show her the lobsters, but they weren't really moving, and she didn't seem interested. At dinner, Sydney was surprisingly good and seemed content to stay in the booth or in her high chair. She shrank back and hid anytime a stranger talked to her but was still very cute. She had many admirers. During dinner she also ate a roll with a fork. That was fun to watch. She had some fun with it.

On the way out Meghan let Sydney walk on her own. She made it all the way to the reception booth at the front of the restaurant and then inexplicably laid down on her tummy. There were all kinds of people in there so it was kind of weird. The hostess asked Meghan if Sydney was ok. Meghan said yeah and just shook her head. I came up from behind and scooped up our Wee Beastie. ...apparently she was walked out at that point.

From there we headed to the little mall across the street from Red Lobster. We were hoping for a kid's play area but came up empty after doing a round on both floors. We tried to let Sydney play but she wasn't too enthusiastic. She was content to just sit in the stroller and get wheeled around. After that we went home.

So after reading this you're probably wondering what was so spectacular. In response, I'd say that we had a tantrum free day. Sydney played very happily with Meghan all day and was all smiles. We got a cool tricycle. Sydney was good at a restaurant and said a new sentence.

Mom&DadMulhern

Re: Yesterday was a good day!

Post by Mom&DadMulhern »

It's the little things that usually give the most pleasure, and Sydney certainly gives us a lot of pleasure. Enjoy every moment.

Love,
Mom & Dad
Last edited by Mom&DadMulhern on Mar 9th, '10, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

mightymulhern

Re: Yesterday was a good day!

Post by mightymulhern »

Mom&DadMulhern wrote:It's the little things that usually give the most pleasure
So true. So true. There are so many silly things that bring smiles to our faces.