A little bit more talking...

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

A little bit more talking...

Post by mightymulhern »

Perhaps we're entering into the "language explosion" period in Sydney's development. Most of what she says is still gibberish but she is attempting to say more words.

Last night I told Sydney that she smelled like pee and asked her if she needed a clean diaper. She said "Peeeeee" and continued being goofy. It was pretty funny.

This morning, Sydney was sitting in her high chair and sneezed. Afterwards she looked up at me and said, "I Tneezed". I was like... YES! Yes, you did!

The "Tn" sound doesn't exist in the english language but that's the best approximation of the way she said it that I can provided.

Later this morning after getting dressed, we were trying to get Sydney to go throw her diaper away. (That's part of the procedure.) She continued milling around in the hall and I said "Are you going to throw that diaper away or should I do it?" She responded by saying "Meeee" and walking off to the kitchen.

mightymulhern

Re: A little bit more talking...

Post by mightymulhern »

So tonight, Meghan held up one of Sydney's magnetic letters (it was a "b") and asked Sydney what it was. Very quickly and confidently, Sydney said "Y". ...which, while wrong, was totally unexpected because I stopped working on the ABCs with her when she was about 6 months old.

...and we said "Pee" some more tonight. She seems to like that word. Peeeeeeeeeeeeee. Tonight Sydney was loitering over by the side door of the house while we sat in the living room. She ignored everything we were saying and all attempts to coax her back into the room. I said, "Sydney, can you say pee?" and then immediately heard a little high pitched voice say "peeeeee". Busted. She was listening all right.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

Tonight I heard Sydney say "Hi". Apparently earlier she was also occasionally saying "Bye".

...prior to me coming home Sydney and Meghan were sitting outside on the front step. Sydney waved to every semi that passed saying hi as they approached and sometimes bye as they went by. A few of them apparently honked at her which she thought was hilarious.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

This is exciting. Over the past few days, Sydney is making more of a concerted effort to try to say words.

We're currently working on "Please" which she will now try to say when she wants something.

We're also working on "More" which we want her to say when she wants more of something rather than picking up her empty plate/bowl/cup, whining loudly, and dancing toward the kitchen. It's very cute when she tries to say "more".

This morning, I headed off to work earlier before Syd got up and apparently she kept asking Meghan "Where's dad?" which probably sounded more like "Wheres Da?"

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

"More" is pronounced "Moe-Waaaar" (think Billy Idol - She wants more... more... more...) with huge dramatic mouth movement/facial expression. She's trying so hard to say the word.

Somewhere in there also started saying "K" as in "Ok". This now frequently takes the place of "Yeah" which she's been saying for awhile.

At this point she's also saying "Peez" on her one when she wants something.

A conversation could now go like this:

- Sydney, are you hungry?
- Yeah

- Ok, let's go in the kitchen and find something to eat.
- K

- Do you want some yogurt?
- Peez

- All done. It's all gone.
- Moe Waaaar

- You want more?
- Peez

No one could be more ecstatic than I am that this child is starting to make an effort to talk. (Keeping in mind that I was certain she was trying to talk to me many months ago) ....and YES I KNOW SHE'S ONLY 19 MONTHS OLD. :D