Recent Developments

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Recent Developments

Post by mightymulhern »

"Mommy" and "Daddy"
This weekend marked the first time Sydney has said "Mommy" and "Daddy". Typically it's just "Ma" and "Da" which is fine with us and is what she's called us since she started talking. Meghan and I refer to each other as "Mom" and "Dad" when talking to Sydney. For some reason though, Sydney picked up the "y" versions of the names and finds them amusing. Tonight for instance she walked up to Meghan and said "Mommy?" with a huge grin on her face. Meghan said, "Yep. That's me.". Then Sydney repeated "Mommy?" with a bigger grin and the cycle continued. ...she still calls us "Ma" and "Da" in regular conversation.

Hide and Seek
Sydney wanted to play hide and seek with me tonight. She pushed me into the bathroom (with Meghan laying on the bed in the bedroom across the hall), stepped behind the door and said "Hiding". I said, "Are we hiding from Mom?" to which she replied "Yeah!" From there, Sydney left the bathroom and shut me in by myself launching a hide and seek game with me. Each time she wasn't looking I snuck to another location and hid. She seemed to like it until she couldn’t find me. That seemed more unsettling to her.

“Crying” vs. “Coming”
In order to make a further distinction between the two words Sydney pronounces as “K-eye-ing”, Sydney now beckons you forth with her and when she means “Coming”.

Counting
We’re still working on counting. Sydney really seems to like “two”, “five”, and “ten”. Apparently tonight when Meghan got to the “10” page of Sydney’s number book Sydney said “10 Bees”. She’s getting it.

Mine!
Be it resolved that the butternut squash on our kitchen table is Sydney’s and she intends to eat it. …or at least that’s what she told Meghan.

Kissing owies
Yes… we’re doing that now too. That was one of those kid things I never thought we would do.

Rubber Bands
Sydney has been playing with a peanut butter jar full of hair ties for weeks. She likes to put them on her wrists like bracelets. She also always wants them in her hair but they are way too big. More recently I got her 3 packages of “Bandz” which are these rubber band bracelets in the shape of all kinds of miscellaneous things. Those were a big hit and she now spends a lot of time putting both Bandz and hair ties on her writs as well as putting them in/taking them out of a jar.

Most recently, Meghan got her a bag of little tiny hair ties so we could give her little pony tails aka “pretties”. Unfortunately Sydney likes to dump those out of a jar too and they are more time consuming to pick up. …and there’s like 200 of them. The other day Sydney went to dump the jar and Meghan told her “No. Don’t dump the jar. I don’t want those all over the place.” Sydney stopped what she was doing, thought for a minute, and the reached into the jar 3 times pulling out handfuls of rubber bands and dropping them on the floor in front of her. Meghan just shook her head. What can I say… she did as she was told.

Wah Wah
Sydney calls water “Wah Wah” which is fine but odd now that she can say more complex words. While sitting in the kitchen the other day I tried correcting her and said “Wah - Ter”. Sydney replied “Wah Wah” with a huge grin. We repeated this sequence a few times with the grin getting bigger. Then I said, “Wah. Can you say Wah?” Sydney said “Wah”. “Ter. Can you say “Ter?” Sydney said “Ter” just as plain as day. Then I said, “Wah-Ter” and Sydney grinned really big and said “Wah Wah!” Somehow it had become a game.