Developing Fast, More Updates

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Developing Fast, More Updates

Post by mightymulhern »

Sydney has kind of turned a development corner as of recent. She’s talking more, observing more, doing more, and unfortunately being more defiant. Still, it’s exciting to see her growing up into a big kid.

Elmo’s Potty Time
One of my coworkers loaned us a DVD called Elmo’s Potty Time thinking that Sydney might like it. On Wednesday we played it once and Sydney was only interested for 2 minutes. We assumed that it was a bust. Little did we know that Sydney would request to watch Elmo several times on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Elmo has pretty much been playing any time Sydney has been in the living room.

Meghan’s Tooth
Last week, Meghan had a temporary crown fall out. At one point it was sitting on Meghan’s desk and Sydney asked about it. Sydney was very concerned so we tried to explain it to her. The following day I picked Sydney up while Meghan was finishing up at the dentist. Before Meghan got home, Sydney found a white ear bud (in ear head phone) cover on Meghan’s desk and thought it was Meghan’s tooth. She kept gesturing, pointing at her teeth, and talking about mom’s tooth. I explained that mom was having her tooth fixed and that the piece of plastic she had was not a tooth. (Yesterday the crown was sitting right next to this piece of plastic.) Since Meghan had the tooth fixed, Sydney has repeatedly expressed concern about Meghan’s teeth as well as her own.

2-yr Molars
Speaking of teeth, Sydney already has some of her 2-year molars. They just appeared. Right now she has one part way poking through and is drooling like crazy. …which leads her to say “I dooled” whenever she slobbers on something.

Talking
Sydney is talking a lot more. The other day I came back in through the dining room and she was following me. She was a few steps behind me. After I got around the table I heard a thud. I said “What happened?!?” She responded, “Trip” “Moms” “Shoe”. I said, “You tripped over mom’s shoe?” She said, “Yeah”. “Are you ok?” “Yeah”.

Tonight at a restaurant, the waitress asked her what was in her cup and she said “Milk”. She then asked Sydney how old she was and Sydney almost responded before putting on the shy act. For several months now, Sydney has responded to that question by holding up a finger and saying “One”.

Anytime Sydney hears a plane, she says “Plane” “Up” and points up toward the ceiling or sky. It’s very cute.

“Ma” and “Mom” have also mostly become “Mommy”. Why? I have no idea. We don’t say “Mommy”. It could be that it’s simply more fun to say. She will say “Mommy?” over and over again, not wanting anything but just being silly. We play a game where she says “Mommy?” a few times and then we say “Wah Wah?”. She’ll say “No Mommy!”. The exchange will continue with her getting more and more serious on the “No Mommy!”. Then we’ll throw in a “Sydney?” Apparently Meghan had her all confused earlier today and she was saying all the words. It’s silly but fun.

Counting
Sydney really seems to love counting and is trying very hard. She often forgets the order of the numbers and sometimes repeats them. BUT she is observing when there are more than one of something and trying to count.

This morning Sydney pointed to her nose and said “Nose”. Then she pointed to my nose and I said “Dad’s nose”. Then she pointed to Meghan and we said “Mom’s Nose”. Then Sydney exclaimed “Four Noses”.

Later she pointed into the garbage can and said “Two Diapers”. …sure enough, there were two diapers in the garbage.

Colors
If you say, show me the red ____, Sydney will find the red object. If you say, “What color is ____, she probably won’t get it. She is trying though. Yesterday morning and afternoon we ran her through a quiz of colors on the same objects and in the afternoon she got them. …unfortunately it’s because she memorized the answers and not because she actually can identify the colors.

Football
Sydney knows what a football is and knows how to signal a touchdown. She’s watched some football on TV with us. Tonight while out at dinner, a baseball game was on the TV. Sydney pointed and said, “Football?” Close enough I guess. J In a couple weeks, Sydney will get to see a real football game down at UofI.

Hide and Seek
Sydney loves to play hide and seek and often tells me to hide. She’s quickly learning all of my hiding places.

Water Park Memory
During our last couple trips to the water park for the summer, I went down a bigger water slide. Apparently Sydney was excited watching me go down until I went under water. Then she looked at Meghan and nervously said, “Dad Coming?”

Bad Dreams
I think Sydney is clearly having some bad dreams. The last few mornings I’ve heard, “No!” followed by silence. I think one morning there was a “Mine!”. Thursday night she was up from 2am to 4am. She’s also woken up from a few naps crying at school lately.