Recent Quirks

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Recent Quirks

Post by mightymulhern »

Afraid of the Dark
Sydney, like most little kids is afraid of the dark. We've known that. That's not a new thing. What we didn't realize was just how deep that went.

Ever since it's started getting dark earlier, Sydney has taken remarkable note of the status of daylight (or lack there of) outside. At first it was in the morning, "Dark Outside?!?" Then it became morning and evening.

On two occasions this past weekend, we attempted to go to a restaurant. Saturday we went to Steak and Shake. Sydney was fine on the way there but freaked out when I stopped the car in the parking lot and didn't want to get out. We eventually convinced her by explaining that it was light in the restaurant. On the way home, we drove with the interior light on and Meghan holding her hand. There was still some whimpering.

On Sunday, we attempted to go to Buffalo Wild Wings. Sydney didn't want to leave the house and the whining continued in the car slowly growing in intensity. Eventually we decided this was a bad idea. At a stop light, I got out and climbed in back with Sydney. We detoured and went through the Wendy's drive through. Then Meghan and I switched places and we went home.

This morning when it was time to go to school, it was STILL dark outside and Sydney refused to leave the house. Meghan had to put her in the car kicking and screaming. Apparently she screamed all the way to school and didn't want to go in once she got there. This attitude continued until she saw her teacher Miss Amanda.

Tonight Meghan took Sydney to the park and called me as the sun started going down to have me come and pick them up. I was on the train. After talking to me, Meghan hung up the phone and Sydney promptly noticed that it was getting dark. When I got there, we had a whiny little girl who REALLY wanted to go home. She was however all smiles once we got into the well lit car (and drove home with the light on).

The winter days ahead are not going to be fun.

The Bat
My parents got Sydney a stuffed bat for Halloween. She has, however, declared that it is a cat. Why? Because it has pointy ears and arm pits.

Broken Legs
At nap time on Sunday, Meghan rocked Sydney and then put her in bed and sat in the rocking chair briefly before leaving. Sydney caught her on the way out and informed her that her (Sydney's) legs were broken. "Do you mean your legs are cold?" Meghan asked? "No. Broken", Sydney responded. Meghan then told her she had a hard life and told her she needed to go to sleep. Sydney replied, "No. All done sleeping".

When I went in to get Sydney at the end of her nap, I discovered that her quilt (knitted) was caught up in the Velcro of her diaper. She was stuck. I asked her if that's what she meant when she told mom her legs were broken and she nodded. Where she came up with those words to describe that situation, we will never know.

I peed!
On Sunday, Sydney started another new behavior. She started telling us immediately after she peed.... each time. Normally she doesn't even act like she notices. Today she was opening letting us know. ...after which point she took off her own diaper, went and sat on the potty, and brought us a new diaper. At one point, Meghan asked, "Do you know you're going to pee before it happens?" Sydney nodded yes. Meghan then went on to explain that Sydney should go sit on the potty when she feels like she has to pee INSTEAD of just peeing in her diaper. Sydney looked at Meghan blankly.

The Park on Sunday
I tried to take Sydney to the park on Sydnay. ....actually Meghan was going to take her but she insistedthat dad take her - "No. Dad go park". Then she proceeded to screw around for awhile while we were trying to get her dressed and get her shoes on. Prior to walking out the door when she was ready to go, I attempted to prod her. I said, "Just a minute while I take my pants off and run around in my diaper." She just looked at me. Then as we were heading out again, I said, "Hang on while I go change into my other shoes." Again she just looked at me. Sarcasm is clearly lost on toddlers.

Eventually we left and when we finally got to the park she didn't want to get out of the stroller. I walked the rest of the way around the block and was instructed to go back to the park when we got to our driveway. I indulged her, got one house down and she asked me to take her home. After we got inside she informed us that it was too cold to go to the park and proceeded to remove nearly every book from the second to bottom shelf on the book shelf of the computer room. I believe a trip to the potty interrupted that fun.

Birthday Video
We attempted to watch Sydney's birthday video with her. When she saw herself crying, she got totally embarrassed and held her arm up over her face. When she saw he reaction to us all singing happy birthday she gave the same response and declared that she needed to go to bed. I didn't realize a 2 year old could be embarrassed.

Bee up the nose
I don't know if we ever posted this or not. This is a very old Sydney-ism that she doesn't do anymore. At the beginning of the summer, any time Sydney saw a bee or a fly she thought it was a bee and any time it disappeared she would tell us it went up her nose. During one stretch, we got a some of flies in the house at first the created a lot of panic and yelling of BEE!!! ...and she thought they went up her nose. Where she got that, we have no idea. It's pretty funny though.

mightymulhern

Re: Recent Quirks

Post by mightymulhern »

In other news, Sydney's overblown fear of the dark seems to be subsiding. We haven't had any crying in the last week when riding in dark cars.

Meghan

Re: Recent Quirks

Post by Meghan »

More quirks:

Jewel and the Pineapple

Sydney loves to go shopping at our favorite grocery store, Jewel. Sometimes she will randomly ask to go to Jewel, just like she asks to go to the park. Lately she likes to ride in the part of the cart where the groceries go. She does not really like it when I fill up the cart with groceries and they crowd her. One day, we were in the produce department and I decided to buy a pineapple. Sydney was intrigued by the pineapple, so I set it down next to her. We continued shopping and a few aisle later, she tried actually touching the pineapple, which was quite prickly. She looked up at me with a very worried expression. "No like pineapple. Want pineapple to go away!" she told me. So the pineapple rode in the baby seat for the rest of the shopping trip.

Days of the Week

I guess Sydney's class must be learning the days of the week at school, because this morning she informed me that it was Friday. I told her that unfortunately, it was Monday. She insisted that it was Friday, and then changed her mind and told me it was Too-day. "Today?" I asked. "No. Too-day," she said. "Tuesday?" I asked. "No! TOO-day!" she said earnestly. Ok, ok. I concede. It's Too-day.

ABC's

Sydney can sing her ABC's! Well, sort of. It goes something like this: "ABCDEFG JKL NOP VWYZ. Now ABC's. Next time with me!" It needs a little work, but I still think it's pretty cute.

Falling off the Potty

This afternoon Sydney informed me that she needed to go potty. I took off her diaper and put her on the toilet. I sat down on the edge of the bathtub. I rolled up her wet diaper and set it on the edge of the sink. She reached over and took it, and dropped it into the trash can next to the toilet. Then for some unknown reason, she decided she needed that diaper back, and reached down to get it. I saw this unfolding and lunged towards her. I managed to get one hand on her before she tumbled off the toilet. I was able to change her trajectory and she landed on her feet instead of her head. She wasn't hurt at all, but she was surprised and MAD! She started crying and yelling at the garbage can. Then she started hitting it. Then she picked it up and threw it into the hall. I was shocked because she usually doesn't get angry like that. I told her to go out in the hall and get it. She went and picked it up and turned back to face me, still crying, tears running down her face, pants around her ankles, holding the trash can. I couldn't help it; I burst out laughing. I guess that was too much for her because she turned around and waddled into the living room. She deposited the trash can there and waddled back. I got myself under control and helped her get her pants back up.