Last Week's Saga

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
Meghan

Last Week's Saga

Post by Meghan »

Last Wednesday I got a call from the daycare around 10am telling me that Sydney had thrown up twice and I needed to come pick her up. "Great," I thought. "Stomach flu."

I retrieved her and when we got home, she was exhausted. I put her to bed and she passed out for about 2 hours. When she woke up she was.....fine. This was not a kid who had the stomach flu. She was happy, hungry, and a little confused as to why she was home with me in the middle of the day.

Later that day, she told me that her neck hurt and her mouth hurt. I thought that she possibly meant that she had a sore throat. But coincidentally, I had her 24 month check-up scheduled for the next day, so I didn't take her to the doctor that day.

Later, while she was playing, I caught her sticking her fingers in her mouth and gagging. I grabbed her hand out of her mouth, and I think if I had been a few seconds later, she would have thrown up again. Suddenly, it was all making sense.

The next morning, I told her that she was going to stay home with me and then go to the doctor, and then go to school later. She got really, really excited about going to the doctor. I am not sure why. I explained that she was going to have to get a shot and it was going to hurt, but that didn't faze her at all. The appointment was at 10:30, and between 6am and about 9am, she asked me if it was time to go to the doctor approximately 1,000,000 times. I got tired of hearing it and told her we were going to the store. We went to Target for awhile and I let her pick out something from the $1 section. She picked out an Abby Cadabby book.

We finally got to the doctor's office. I figured that once we got there, the good mood would end. I was wrong. She didn't really seem to care for the nurse, but once the doctor came in, she was in rare form. She danced around the exam room in her diaper, singing and being very goofy. She obediently opened her mouth so the doctor could look in it, and let him look in her ears and eyes. She even let him pick her up and take her out to the nurses' desk to get a sticker.

If the doctor had given her the shot, I don't think she would have cried at all. Unfortunately, it was the nurse she didn't like who gave the shot, so there was a little crying. But she happied right up once the nurse left. However, once she realized that it was time to get dressed and go home, she had a meltdown. I had to drag a screaming kid through the waiting room and out to the car with her yelling, "No want go home! Want go back to doctor!" I bet that's never happened before.

Anyway, the upshot is that there is nothing wrong with her throat, but she is getting molars and her gums were inflamed. We are assuming that she was trying to rub her gums and stuck her fingers in too far and gagged herself at school. I'm the only mommy I know with a bulimic two year old.