Words and Phrases

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Words and Phrases

Post by mightymulhern »

New Words/Expressions:

“No way, Jose” – We have no idea where she picked this one up.

“Oh my goodness” – We think this was a correction to “Oh my god” that she learned at school.

“Thanks” – If you hand Sydney something, she now often says “Thanks”. It’s very cute.

“Sorry” – If she bumps into you she may say sorry. She may also say sorry if she bumps into the door frame.

“Bless You” – If you sneeze, Sydney may bless you.

“Excuse Me” – Previously Sydney would pronounce this like “simee”. After burping the other night, I said “Simee” and was corrected by Sydney, “No, Excuse Me”.

The following formula will get you 90% of the way to speaking like Sydney:

Drop all “L”s
Substitute "K” for “CR”
Change most plurals to end in “es” and keep any preceding S’s.
Insert an “N” before any occurrence of “ing”.

So if you put on lotion, you’ll be wearing ocean. If you’re crying, you’ll be Kyning. If you have two slices of an orange, you probably have two orangeses.

While I’m at it, a few funny comments

While Meghan was in the beer aisle at Jewel, she put one 12 pack of beer in the cart. Sydney then yelled, “Mommy I want 2 beers!”

This weekend, Sydney proclaimed that she had fingernails on her toes. We explained that those were called toenails and she acted like we were out of our minds. "Nooooooo *points finger and gets serious look* fingernails!"

mightymulhern

Re: Words and Phrases

Post by mightymulhern »

Other Words & Phrases

One really cute word Sydney uses is “too”. “Dad’s sitting on couch. I’m sitting on couch too.” She’s always telling us when she’s doing something too.

When Sydney leaves the room to get something, she often says, “I’ll be right back.” Or “I’ll be back in a just a minute”.

Long ago, instead of “Yes”, Sydney would say “Kay”. Now that has evolved to “Ok”.

This morning I went to get a tissue for Sydney and went into her room. As I started to make the left through her door, she called from our bedroom to tell me that the box was in the living room. She was right.

Over the weekend, I was using the vacuum cleaner and was shocked at how twisted up the cord was. It’s as if someone mangled that cord because it just wants to twist back upon itself and bind up. It’s as if the wires were made of springs in some places. Without thinking I said out loud, “Man someone really twisted this cord up.” Sydney was standing there and asked, “Mommy do it?” “No, I don’t think so”, I said. After a brief pause she said, “Sydney Mulhern do it?” “No, you didn’t do it either.” Sydney often refers to herself as “Sydney Mulhern” in the context of having done something. Presumably this carries over from School where she is one of a duo of crazy Sydneys.

...and continuing with our education of Sydney-speak:

Sydney often drops embedded “Ps”

"Napkin" becomes "Nammin"
"Nipples" becomes "Neemmles" or sometimes "Nimmles"
Oddly, she says "Pumpkin" like "Pumpin" dropping the k. That’s especially funny because many Chicagoans drop the “mp” and call them "Puhkins".

mightymulhern

Re: Words and Phrases

Post by mightymulhern »

Sydney learned about elevators and escalators at the mall. She pronounces them:

Elevator – Alligator

Escalator – Esso-Alligator

Another word not previously mentioned was "bottom". Sydney pronounces it "bobum",

Meghan actually got Sydney to say “lotion” the other day (as opposed to “ocean”). We may be close to her being able to put “L’s” in words. Right now she totally omits them which makes some words hard to figure out.

“What?” – Shortly after Sydney started asking “Why?” all the time, she added “What?”. Every time we would tell her to do something or ask her a question, she would reply “What?!?”. Often she would also squint at you when saying it. Funny, but quickly annoying.