Fears

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Fears

Post by mightymulhern »

The fears of our toddler continue…

Sydney has been terrified of pretty much every animal that moves for quite some time. At Christmas you would have sworn that the Gresk family Beagle was going to eat her. In order to attempt to get her more used to animals, Meghan has taken her to the pet store each of the last 3 weeks. The first week went ok although she wouldn’t touch a cat and was freaked out by the dogs walking around the store. She also didn’t like the birds which were apparently making a lot of noise. Oddly, she liked the turtles, lizards, and snakes. She didn’t seem to really pay too much attention to the fish but was concerned that they might get out because there weren’t tops on the tanks. During weekend 2, Sydney was more at ease and didn’t seem to mind the dogs roaming around with their owners. Apparently while watching some rodents (not sure which ones) she attempted to tell them where to go (“Go in house!”). They ignored her. In discussing the first pet store trip with Sydney after she got home, she told me she saw dogs on handles (leashes). This past week, the trip seemed to go better yet. Sydney seemed very excited telling me about the trip although I don’t think I got everything out of that conversation.

When observing a dog on TV on last week I learned that dogs have: Ears, Eyes, Necks, and 3 feet. Watch out for these beasties.

In addition to her fear of insects, mammals, and some plant life, Sydney is also getting skiddish about swinging. Last year I would swing her in the basement until she nearly hit the ceiling. In fact, her seat did hit the ceiling lightly a couple times. At the park, Sydney was always swinging higher than any of the other kids. Now, she warns us, “Not too high” and is clearly nervous. Where did our little daredevil go?

As with the swinging, she also really doesn’t like it when I turn her upside down anymore. I used to hold her up and flip her upside down, then right-side up, then upside down. She used to love it and keep saying “Do Again!” “Do Again!”. Now she gets a look of terror on her face and tells me she doesn’t want to go upside down.