More Stories & Updates

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

More Stories & Updates

Post by mightymulhern »

We're way behind on posting stories and updates. Here's a few:

Ice Melted
The other day after school, Meghan told Sydney that the ice on the driveway was all gone. Sydney explained that it probably melted and went on to tell Meghan that melting means it turned into water.

Mommy, I’m talking to you
The other night Meghan was trying to tell me a story and Sydney tried to interrupt. Meghan just kept talking. Sydney then gently grabbed Meghan’s chin, turned her head so that they were facing each other and said, “Mommy, I’m talking to you”. We both busted up laughing. She did this again during our road trip to Wellston.

Telling Stories
The other day, Sydney told me that she slapped the table at school and that Miss Stephanie said, “Sydney, that’s bad manners.” Then she hit Miss Stephanie and was told to go sit on the “X” (Timeout at school). Meghan followed up no this story and found that Miss Stephanie had no idea what Sydney was talking about and that the events described never happened. Apparently the only time Sydney has ever had to sit on the X was when she got too worked up and needed to go settle herself down (what she does in her bed at home).

Bonking
Growing up so far, Sydney has bonked her head a lot. What’s bizarre is that she went through a phase a month or so back where she liked to lightly head butt you and say “I bonk you!”.

Zipping her own coat
Just last week, Sydney learned to zip her own coat. She struggles with it a bit but can do it. The teachers at school were impressed as were we.

The Potty
Sydney still doesn’t use the potty. Meghan has talked to her about wearing underwear a few times lately and Sydney wants to but simply isn’t ready to use the potty. She even tells Meghan that she’s not quite ready. At this point we are literally waiting for her to decide that she’s ready.

One night last week, Sydney decided she wanted to go to the potty and I thought, “Eureka!” Sydney went into the bathroom, called us to turn the light on for her, and then started working to take off her own pants. After turning the light on, Meghan and I returned to the living room to let Sydney do her thing. A few minutes later, Sydney came out with no pants holding the diaper to tell us there was pee in it. She then returned to the potty briefly, gave up, and came back in the living room. Once back in the living room, she began what could only be described as an obsessive wiping effort. Eventually we got another diaper on her.

Also, apparently during one of the recent underwear discussions, Sydney told Meghan that she wanted black underwear like dad. I will admit that I have searched for black toddler sized underwear and come up short. I think we’re going to have to sell her on pink or purple.

Monologues
Sydney gets into moods where she is extremely chatty and delivers these long monologues equipt with hand/body gestures, intonation, and facial expressions (including shrugging and eye rolling. Oddly, sometimes she doesn’t use real words for parts of them.

The other day she talked about putting Elmo to bed, Elmo sleeping, Elmo later waking up, and then Elmo saying “Where’s Sydney?”

Growing
Sydney is growing up fast. 2T shirts are getting tight and we’ll be moving to 3T ones soon. 2T pants are still fine.

As of her doctor visit last week, Sydney is 35” tall and 31lbs.

For some reason they’ve been having trouble measuring her at the doctor’s office and I confirmed myself that she’s just shy of 35”. They actually recorded it as 36”. During a prior visit her height changed by something like 2” and they had to measure her a second time with a tape measure. (Seriously… this isn’t rocket science.)

Matching
Sydney has started noticing when things match or go together.

The other night Sydney asked Meghan where her medicine was (she just got over an ear infection). Meghan explained to her that she had taken it all and reminded her that she threw out the bottle. Then Sydney commented that she only threw up one time. Meghan agreed. Then Sydney explained that it matched her jammies. Yes Sydney, your pink vomit matched your pink jammies.

Boys & Girls
Last Monday night, Sydney came home from school and explained to me that I was a boy and she and mommy were girls. Meghan asked her if Elmo was a boy or a girl and Sydney said girl without hesitation. Attempts to get her to tell me how you know if someone is a boy or a girl came up short.

Sydney’s Diet
During a recent evening of picky eating, Meghan tried to get Sydney to eat some hamburger in her hamburger helper. Sydney responded, “I don’t like meat.” Meghan responded, “I know that you eat meat at school.” Sydney’s retort, “I don’t like meat at home.”

In Sydney’s world at home, granola bars represent at least 50% of what she eats. Recently cantaloupe has made up approximately 15% with Peanut Butter and crackers following at 10%. The remainder of her calories probably come from Milk with a tiny amount coming from bananas, apple juice, pretzels with hummus, and pudding. (It’s worth noting that the only reason she gets pudding is because we give her medicine in it daily.)

Of course Sydney won’t eat just any bar. No No. If it has fruit in it, she doesn’t want it although she might be willing to accept a raisin. If it has peanuts, she’ll make us pick them out.

Interestingly, Sydney isn’t that big into candy. Meghan has tried to give her a sucker a couple of times. She takes a lick and then hands it back. She also recently rejected a Popsicle (which she said was too cold and wanted to eat Meghan to cut up so that she could eat it with a fork). She still doesn’t like ice cream. Occasionally we reward her with M&M’s but the last time I gave her some she told me that they were too hard.