Backstroke crawling?!?

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Backstroke crawling?!?

Post by mightymulhern »

Sydney did something downright odd last night. We were playing with her on the floor. She was on her pink mat with Meghan on one side talking to her and me on the other watching.

While laying on her back, Syndey flailed her arms, kicked her legs, and managed to move her whole body sideways several inches until she was touching Meghan. I don't even know what to call it. It wasn't scooting. It wasn't crawling. It was more like some bizarre backstroke flailing and it was obviously intentional because she looked at Meghan, did it, and then turned and smiled at her.

Leave it to our baby to invent a new upside-down/sideways alternative to crawling or walking. :?

Meghan

Re: Backstroke crawling?!?

Post by Meghan »

Besides backstroking on the floor, she is also trying to do it in the bathtub. One end of our baby bathtub has a reclined seat for infants; the other end is deeper for older babies that can sit up on her own. Whenever I put her in the reclined part, she arches her back and tries to slide down in the water. I've been letting her sit in the deep end, and she loves it. She is not even close to being able to sit up on land, so it's hopeless in the bathtub. She slips and slides all over and I have to hold her up. But she loves to scoot down so that her entire body and the back of her head are in the water. Then she moves her arms and legs as if swimming.

I'd like to try it in the big bathtub, but I'm not sure I could hold onto her. I might have to get in with her for that to work.