Syd's latest things...

Welcome to my sub-forum for pretty much anything else. When I’m no longer sequestered by the bounds of institutional education, I find myself free to plot my diabolical schemes for world conquest. As they arise, I’ll post any thoughts I have here for the consumption of you my loyal subjects.

Feel free to start new topics of your own and reply to any existing ones.
mightymulhern

Syd's latest things...

Post by mightymulhern »

I just wanted to take a few minutes to post some comments on the Sydster.

First off, many congratulations to Little Miss Sydney. She's the baby of the month for April at school. We sent in pictures and filled out a questionnaire on her. I'm not sure if she had to give an acceptance speech or anything. She hasn't really commented. So humble.

Over the last couple days, Sydney's baby talk has changed. Previously we were getting a lot of squeals, gurgling, grunts, and something like uh-wooo-a-wuh-wahhh-wooo-aaah. The week before last we heard a few hard "N"s with an inflection that sounded like a "No" but was more like Nu-wah. The last couple days, we've been getting a lot of G's. Gug, Guh, etc. This is where mom jumps in and reminds everyone that I said "Gug" a lot as a baby. :D Sadly Sydney wouldn't really talk for mom & dad last weekend. Today she was a regular chatter box.

Syd has also started smacking her lips a lot and sticking out her tongue (think Gene Simmons).

In other news the BM clock is at 2 days now. Syd seems to only poop on Thursdays. The question is whether we'll get to next Thursday or not. I should figure out how to set up a poll on this board and we could do some wagering. ;)

Another odd thing that has developed recently is that Sydney seems to be getting very clingy. The teachers at Early Days mentioned it to Meghan one day this past week. For some reason she seems to want to be held more than previously. Today for example, we went over to see the Freedmans and their new baby Maya. Meghan tried to put Sydney on the play mat near Maya and Syd immediately started whimpering and making this horribly upset face. In fact anytime Meghan put her on the floor she did that. Eventually she got tired of holding her and I held her for awhile. Very staring. No talking. No fussing. No flailing. Just quiet staring and looking around. (That isn't how our baby behaves normally.) After awhile she warmed up and returned to her normal self but it was very clear she just wanted to be held.

Spitting up has been in fashion over the past couple weeks. Not sure what's going on there but Syd has been doing more of it in the past few weeks than had been typical. I got hit this evening and had to change pants. ...actually she got my shirt this morning too at least once. Meghan got hit at least once. For her it's a daily event. Once Syd gets a little bigger, we're going to either need a new couch or to figure out how to safely clean the current one. It's fallen victim all too frequently.

Aside from her odd behavior at the Freedmans, today was actually a fantastic day for Sydney. On the way back from the Freedmans, she crashed hard and took a nap. In fact she continued sleeping in her car seat after we got home for at least another hour. After that, Meghan took her for a jog in the jogging stroller. Meghan had her all bundled up in that cute pink bear outfit with the ears. When they got back, I took baby duty while Meghan hopped in the shower. Syd seemed to have gotten a little cold on the jog and was really quiet until she warmed up. (Her hands and cheeks were noticeably cold) We just watched tv, I held her hands, and she didn't do or say much. Once she warmed back up though she clearly wanted to play and launched into some kind of crazy baby mode. We had her laying on her play mat and she was baby talking, flailing, grinning, rolling on her side, etc. I've never seen her exert that much energy or show that much excitement for that long of a duration. It was like someone slipped her a couple cups of coffee or something. :o In the end she got fussy, got fed, and then had to go to bed but overall I think she had a fabulous day. Very little crying. Lots of smiles.

Sydney's arms seem to have minds of their own. When you watch Sydney sit and play, you quickly see that she has good control over her arms and hands. She can reach out and grab anything. She can put things in her mouth as long as it doesn't require rotating them in some way. BUT... when she's not focusing on using her arms, they seem to have a mind of their own. It starts out with Sydney looking at the TV or you or whatever and then her arms pump up and down with her hands slapping her knees. Then one will wonder upward and pass in front of her face. When she sees it, her attention will snap to her hand making her go cross eyed for a second and then usually she'll bring the hand in and stick it in her mouth. It's kind of comical. "Where did that hand come from?" "Oh that's my hand!" ...ok along those lines I think I mentioned once before the odd rhythmic thing she does with her arms and legs while Meghan is nursing her. If not, basically Syd is laying on one side and whichever side is up is subject to some weird phenomenon. It used to be that her upper leg would just kick into the air and move up and down slowly while she was eating. Occasionally the arm would get involved to. At one point Meghan was afraid she was going to get kicked in the face. Since then the leg has phased out some but the arm is now in full swing waving around and grabbing whatever it comes in contact with. Tonight she actually grabbed Meghan's nose twice. It's funny to watch because it's obviously completely involuntary.

One last observation to add. When Sydney is ready to go to bed she starts getting fussy. The weird thing though is that she stops making eye contact with us when she hits that point. Before that it's all smiles, eye contacts, play with me, play with me, play with me. Afterwards she will look in any other direction she can to avoid eye contact. :? What a crazy baby.

Aunt Linda

Re: Syd's latest things...

Post by Aunt Linda »

I think all the acrobatic manuevers are just practice for soccer. She has to have all those body parts in shape before her grandpa can teach her soccer. Aside from that, I really enjoy reading all the things you and Meghan post about Sydney. Makes it seem like I know her and I have never met her yet.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

Could be a soccer player all right. She's got some big old legs on her.

I'm glad you're reading along and enjoying it. The more we hear that people are reading it the more we are encouraged to post.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

As an update, the BM clock is back to zero. Syd destroyed two completely good diapers when she got home today.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

For as good of a day as Saturday was Sunday was pretty much the opposite.

For one, a certain crazy baby didn't want to nap. I think her first 3 naps were each only 30-45 min.

Second, a certain crazy baby that shouldn't have been hungry yet seemed to be gorging herself. After her first nap, she got up and was mostly smiles but that very quickly disintegrated into the hardest crying we’ve witnessed in quite awhile. She didn’t give us any of her normal indications of being hungry or being displeased with anything. She just started howling. Eventually Meghan tried to feed her and she ate like a baby possessed. …and then spit up.

Meghan got her to go down for nap #2 and headed out for grocery shopping telling me that Syd would probably need fed around 1:30. At 12:15, crazy baby was awake and I set her down on the couch next to me, which immediately translated into whimpering. I picked her back up and it was clear she was unraveling fast so I fed her again. …and she totally gorged herself and spit up at least once. After that she didn’t want to play on the floor. Didn’t want to do anything other than sit on my lap with my arms crossed over her middle and watch tv. Any time I talked to her or moved her the whimpering started so we just sat that way until Meghan came home. Somehow Meghan got her back to sleep.

I don’t recall exactly how the afternoon went but as I recall, she was pretty much a cranky pants all day. Meghan gave her some Tylenol for her final nap and she actually slept for a couple hours. When she got up that time, I went in and picked her up out of the crib and got spit up on immediately. Then I walked her into the changing table and got spit up on again. Then I changed her diaper and picked her back up only to have her release the rest of her innards at me. mmmm nummy.

…just another day in the life I guess.