Update on the Jaundice

This forum is for discussing all of the latest and greatest about Rowan.
mightymulhern

Update on the Jaundice

Post by mightymulhern »

Rowan has developed some jaundice since birth so I figured I'd record it This is a fairly common issue with newborns caused by Bilirubin building up in the system. Typically, the levels peak about 4 days after birth.

At the point when they released Rowan and Meghan from the hospital, it was under the condition that Meghan bring him back for a blood test on Monday. That test came back with a reading of 15.1. On Tuesday, a doctor looked at Rowan and ordered another blood test. This one came back with a reading of 18. Based on that, the doctor either wanted to re-admit him to the hospital or have us use what is known as a biliblanket on him. We opted for the latter. Rowan has been hooked up to the biliblanket since about 6:30pm last night with a gap between 10:30 and 11:45 when we went back for another blood test.

A biliblanket is not really a blanket at all. It's a plastic pad about the size of the baby's back that hooks up to a big hose which is connected to a canister that emits some kind of blue light. The light travels up the cord which is made of fiber optic cable and shines on the skin of the baby. This light somehow causes the bilirubin in the baby's blood to break down so that it can be easily eliminated from his system. Somehow it does this without being hazardous to look at or causing a sunburn. Although somewhat of a nuisance and not particularly comfortable for the baby to sleep on, we hope it will work quickly. We should get the results of today's blood test later this afternoon.

mightymulhern

Re: Update on the Jaundice

Post by mightymulhern »

Yesterday's test came back at 16.5 which is an improvement . We'll be heading back to the doctor at 10:30.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

In yesterday's test, the bilirubin was up slightly so we had to go back in this morning for yet another test. I just got a call from a doctor in the practice saying that the result was pretty high, and we need to put Rowan back on the biliblanket for 24hrs and then make an appointment with the doctor on Monday morning.

Updated: I believe the reading was 16.8.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

Yesterday we headed back to the doctor.

He asked us some questions, looked at Rowan, and seemed somewhat perplexed. Apparently he's treated 3 other infants for bilirubin, and all have responded very quickly. Rowan's levels however don't seem to want to fall. He's been gaining weight and growing though, which are good signs. So he wasn't sure whether there was a real problem or not. He actually commented that we may be "chasing a number" on the bilirubin levels.

After a long talk with his attending physician, he decided to do another bilirubin test and to also do a set of blood tests to check Rowan's liver functions. The game plan was that if the bilirubin levels fell a little bit and the other tests come back negative, we'll just wait a few days and stop the daily tests.

At the lab (in the basement of the doctor's office), the ladies all recognize us and Rowan. In fact, we got strong lecture from one of them telling us that we need to start pushing back on the doctor. "Some people say, the doctor said..." "No. You're paying the doctor. You need to take his recommendation and decide what is right." "I think he looks fine. If he were mine, I'd just take him out in the sun and give him a little water." "He's going to be just fine."

Although I'm sure they aren't supposed to give medical advice at the lab, I think we both feel like they are right. Internet searches on the subject would tend to agree. Bilirubin scales are defined rather loosely and some doctors don't start actively treating them until they are above 20. On the other hand, I asked the doctor what a "normal" reading was and he said 6. I believe the scale is linear so 16 and 18 are quite a bit higher than 6.

Yesterday afternoon, the bilirubin results came back. The level has dropped to 14.7. While that's not low and is far higher than 6, it's a good sign. We should hear back on the results of the other tests later today.

mightymulhern

Post by mightymulhern »

Just to close the loop...

The liver tests came back normal so we are done with the daily bilirubin tests. :D

Rowin is doing well and looking less yellow. He'll go back to the doctor this week for a Hepatitis vaccine and checkup.