A Letter to Rowan

This forum is for discussing all of the latest and greatest about Rowan.
Mom&DadMulhern

A Letter to Rowan

Post by Mom&DadMulhern »

Dear Rowan,

The name Rowan is Irish and means "Little Red One", after the Rowan Tree that has red leaves and red berries. That tells me that you will grow strong like a tree, but have a gentle heart. You don't know it yet, Rowan, but you have been born into a family who will love you unconditionally and who will always be there for you no matter what.

You were born just a little sooner than planned. Your dad was early too when he was born. He couldn't wait to get out into this world and neither could you. Your dad sent me a text message that read: "Hi, Nana. I'm Rowan James Michael Mulhern, 8 lbs, 8 oz 19-1/2" long." When I got that message, I was all thumbs trying to respond. I was trying to call your dad back, but before I could do that, your dad called to confirm that yes, you had been born. You were named after your Papaw Mike, whose whole name is James Michael Mulhern. What an honor that is! Your dad described you with reddish hair, which, if you do have reddish hair, you would get that from both sides of your family.

We couldn't wait to see you. Your dad asked if we wanted to come to Des Plaines for the weekend, and we didn't hesitate to pack our bags and head north. Your big sister, Sydney, was excited that we came. She was so excited, that she had a difficult time going to sleep the first night. Of course, she had a lot to think about. She is finding that being a big sister is a big job for a 3 year old.

We didn't get to see you until the following morning, and when we walked into the hospital room, your mom was beaming. Your Grandma Mary was holding you all wrapped up tight. I'm sure she didn't want to let you go, but Papaw and I did get a chance to hold you ourselves. You are a bundle of pure joy, little one. I just thought my heart would burst. It was love at first sight. You are a beautiful baby with a full head of light (maybe reddish) hair and blue eyes.

Welcome to the family, Rowan. You are our first grandson. I already have your picture in my locket, and I've been proudly showing our friends pictures of you and Sydney. So, sleep now, little Rowan, for life holds many wonderful adventures. Your Nana and Papaw love you very much!

Bunches of love,
Nana